Sunday, July 10, 2016

Déjà Vu, Is that a Fire Pokémon?

We have squirrels on site, and we have turtles on site, but until recently, we've never had a Squirtle on the premises. Don't get me wrong, we've had Pokémon on site before, but things have gotten crazy recently...

Today, one of our managers came up to me with some news he knew would pique my interest... one of our sites was visited by five individuals who were playing a new "augmented reality" game titled Pokémon Go. Apparently, this game superimposes images of Pokémon on the 'real world' scene at various rally points, and players can 'capture' the Pokémon by swiping their phone screens. There have been reports of hazards associated with this game, though all of the players on our site have left with their persons and wallets intact.

I immediately had a flashback to the great Ingress onslaught of '13, which resulted in adults showing up at my principle workplace at all hours of the night and early morning. Sure enough, this new game was designed by the same company that designed Ingress... Niantic, my nemesis. We were able to solve the Ingress dilemma by contacting the moderators and asking them to move the rally point to a site across the street from us. I think the current augmented reality problem could be solved if we built giant spherical traps which we could use to capture the players of the game who show up on our site at odd hours... gotta catch 'em all!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

They were talking about problems associated with this game on the news this morning. Apparently, it causes people not to pay attention to where they're going. There was also some matter of a cop getting freaked out about a person spraying cyber-webs on him on his phone(?).

I always try to pay attention to where I am and where I am walking. I still have trouble tripping and walking into things sometimes. I don't need another reason for that.

Anonymous said...

My eldest son works at a GNC store in mall -- dozens of game playing twerps come in daily now asking "Are there any Pokemons here." Honestly, it is such a pain in the butt -- and yesterday he saw two gamers, phone engrossed to the point that they walked into each other hard enough to end with one phone shattered to bits on the floor.

Talk about bouncing reality checks!

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

They were talking about problems associated with this game on the news this morning. Apparently, it causes people not to pay attention to where they're going. There was also some matter of a cop getting freaked out about a person spraying cyber-webs on him on his phone(?).

Yeah, this was all over the CBS radio affiliate today- I couldn't stop laughing.

My eldest son works at a GNC store in mall -- dozens of game playing twerps come in daily now asking "Are there any Pokemons here." Honestly, it is such a pain in the butt -- and yesterday he saw two gamers, phone engrossed to the point that they walked into each other hard enough to end with one phone shattered to bits on the floor.

Forbes website had a bit on using the game to bring in customers. I'm not sure these folks buy a lot of stuff.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

You guys are not doing a very good jerb of talking me into getting wanna them sell phones.
~