Sunday, May 22, 2016

The Affliction and the Cure: Both Delicious

Walking across the property this evening, I ran across a storied plant combination:




In the foreground, on the left, one can see some of my beloved stinging nettles, while the spindly plant with the narrow leaves is curly dock. The plants are known to grow together frequently, and crushed dock leaves are reputed to take out the sting of the nettle... though this may be B.S. At any rate, the dock/nettle combination is one that you should familiarize yourself with, so you won't face situations like this:





Pity Mr Bishop didn't know that he could have had that entire weed patch for dinner. For the record, the broad leaved plant in the background is burdock (Genus Arctium), which is known for its edible roots.

3 comments:

Chickpea said...

As a child I was always falling (or being pushed by my evil brother) into patches of stinging nettles. I was always told by my mother to rub dock leaves on the sting, wisdom that I have passed onto my kids and now the grandchildren. Haven't a clue if it works but searching for dock leaves that haven't been peed on by dogs takes your mind off it.

Anonymous said...

I was always told it was jewel weed you wanted for nettle stings.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Darn those nettlesome brothers!
~