Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Pluerotus Plunder?

Last December, I chanced upon a bounty of oyster mushrooms (Pleurotus sp.), and I've been inspecting dead and moribund trees for signs of these fall-to-early spring 'shrooms ever since. While I haven't found any mushrooms worth harvesting, I've found some promising growths to investigate in the near future:




The organization has a staff of talented carpenters- the sort of talented woodworkers who do fine work for our facilities and in their downtime crank out rustic benches on which our visitors can sit for a while:




After checking out the clever use of expansion wedges inserted into the end of the legs in order to fasten them firmly to the seat of the bench, look at that frilly off-white growth on the edge of the bench:




Looks promising to me... and we're supposed to have rain for the next couple of days.


5 comments:

Unknown said...

Your head doesn't work like other heads.

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

Not at all. Being a forager really changes how you look at the world. Most people look at a meadow and think, "Meh, just a bunch of weeds." I look at it and say, "Delicious stinging nettles, tart knotweed, fantastic lambs quarters, lemony curly dock."

Yeah, my head is totally different...

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

I look at a meadow, and I have my camera in my pocket.

I'm thinking "birds? butterflies? turtles? snakes? There's something to photograph in there!"
~

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

It certainly changes you, even thinking about the light in a scene and how it effects a shot is a major shift in thinking.

Smut Clyde said...

Most people look at a meadow and think, "Meh, just a bunch of weeds."

Is it bad that I look at a meadow and think "What could I bury here"?