Saturday, May 9, 2015

What's Up? Dock!

This year, for some reason, we have a bumper crop of curly dock (Rumex crispus) on-site. Curly dock is another of those pernicious invasive species (it's listed as a noxious weed in 46 states by the U.S. Department of Agriculture), much like its Polygonaceous relative, Japanese knotweed. Like knotweed, it's delicious.

While the young leaves can be eaten raw, the older leaves are best parboiled before consumption in order to reduce the oxalate levels. This sucker has a date with my stewpot:




Later in the year, the curly dock plants will produce edible seeds which can be ground into a flour, much like the seeds of dock's relative, buckwheat.

Like redbud, this is a plant that keeps on giving... and by taking, I'm helping to reduce its spread.

Edit: I would be remiss if I didn't mention that the juice of the curly dock is commonly considered the "antidote" to the sting of the nettle. I haven't put this to use because I have a pretty high pain threshold (I'm a fighter, so it's a necessity), and the burn of the nettle isn't all that bad.

5 comments:

Smut Clyde said...

We get turkey rhubarb (Acetosa sagittata) here. Equally nom nom nom.

It's Porcini season again; I am replenishing my stockpile of dried ceps. It is also the season for Psilocybe semilanceata, just saying.

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

It is also the season for Psilocybe semilanceata, just saying.

Just make sure you have a "cool down" room.

One of these days, I'm going to have to take a mycology course. The puffballs are a safe bet, but they're not the choicest of fungi.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

I'm not sure I recognize that plant.

Puffballs are good, once you're used to them. They don't make it all on their own, it's the sauce/accompaniments.
~

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

There are some good resources out there, I like Green Deane's "Eat the Weeds" videos and "Wildman" Steve Brill's website.

Smut Clyde said...

Just make sure you have a "cool down" room.

Had one last night without detectable effect. Increase the dosage!