Sunday, May 24, 2015

A Rare Egg, a Rattlin' Egg

While on my locking-up tour yesterday, I found a lovely, snug little nest on the verge of a field by our auxiliary parking lot:




I didn't see a parent around, but I did take a careful peek inside:




If I had to guess, I'd say that they are probably mockingbird eggs. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for the parents.

Regarding the post title, it's from a whimsical Irish folk song. My worksite is in a valley, and the ground gets pretty marshy in this area when it rains, but alas, it's no bog. Anyway, here's a version of this song by the Makem Brothers:





I have a friend who plays a lot of "family friendly" events and the cumulative nature of the song makes it great for sing-alongs. I can't find a video of him playing it for a crowd of grade-schoolers, but it's a sight to behold. Seeing a crowd of drunks singing it is even more entertaining.

3 comments:

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Eggs? I see one...did more appear?

It will be interesting for you to watch.

I saw a young mockingbird the other day in D.C. He/she/it kept testing wings, although it could fly. It didn't shy as far away from me as an adult typically would, either.
~

Suezboo said...

Sweetiepie, would it be possible for you to check MPS 31 May Housekeeping article? I recommend an article there that I would like you to check out. I am so not a young, American dudebro but it struck me as worth reading but I value your opinion.
Please (bats eyelashes).
Suezboo

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

Eggs? I see one...did more appear?

Nah, I fear that mom fell prey to something.

Sweetiepie, would it be possible for you to check MPS 31 May Housekeeping article? I recommend an article there that I would like you to check out. I am so not a young, American dudebro but it struck me as worth reading but I value your opinion.
Please (bats eyelashes).
Suezboo


Of course, I'm always looking for material.