Monday, June 24, 2013

Still Fantastic Decades Later

I've put up a couple of posts which mentioned the Irish band In Tua Nua, whose 1988 album The Long Acre is a Bastard favorite. Recently, I found that the band had reformed and had performed at last year's Electric Picnic festival. Here's a version of my personal favorite song by the band, Don't Fear Me Now:





I've always thought that lead singer Leslie Dowdall has one of the finest voices I've ever heard, and she still looks absolutely gorgeous. The band looks like they're having a blast.

Here's the video for a live performance of Seven Into the Sea:





A quick trip in the time machine to watch the band's performance of the Seven Into the Sea for the 1986 Self Aid benefit concert reveals that the band has lost none of their intensity in the intervening decades:





For the record, the band wrote one of the most powerful musical critiques of the religious based war on women (a song which, tragically, still resonates today), the closest thing to an agnostic's hymn... here's the sublime The Innocent and the Honest Ones:





It's good to see the band has reformed, and is performing as spectacularly as ever... here's hoping they decide to tour and hit the NY metro area. I've got to tell my great and good friend J-Co that the band is back together... he'll be even more ecstatic than I am.

3 comments:

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Leslie Dowdall is very good.
~

Paul Avery said...

For a moment there, I thought I was listening to Grace Slick.

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

Leslie Dowdall is very good.

Hell yeah!!!

For a moment there, I thought I was listening to Grace Slick.

I believe the band's first single was a cover of "Somebody to Love".