Tuesday, April 9, 2013

WTF, Spring?

As I commented a little over a week ago, the end of winter did not bring about the end of cold weather. Because I work at night, and a lot of my time is spent outdoors, I always pay close attention to the weather. Last week, I was still wearing the thermal undershirt and a couple of other layers, topped off with a thick hooded sweatshirt. Today, it's supposed to hit about 80F (approximately 27C). I've traded the thermals for shorts and a nerdy-yet-macho classic American Museum of Natural History T-shirt:





I've been suspecting that we'd jump from winter weather to summer weather without having much of a spring, and that seems to be the case locally. In the Rocky Mountains, blizzard conditions are prevailing. Of course, the blizzard in the Rockies doesn't mean that global warming is a hoax- spring storms in the Rockies have always been the norm (back in 1993, in the course of a cross-country road trip, my friends and I encountered a sudden blizzard so fierce we had to pull off the highway and weather the storm in a diner because of the "whiteout" conditions). At the risk of sounding like a shallow dumbass, part of me is not lamenting this, because I don't have a good mid-season jacket. That being said, I am dreading this summer- I can foresee being a giant sweatloaf.

That being said, somebody's going to enjoy the day by taking a nice long walk.

9 comments:

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

That being said, somebody's going to enjoy the day by taking a nice long walk.

Theda and I just did one, I without shirt on.

Can't wait for that XL pipeline...
~

Patricia said...

Oh yeah, took the long walk, came to a fork in the road and my daughter went all Frost on me and asked if we should take the road less traveled? I replied, don't we always?
You're correct, we just go right into summer. Good thing there's no global warming.

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

Theda and I just did one, I without shirt on.

Sexy Thunder is sexy.

Oh yeah, took the long walk, came to a fork in the road and my daughter went all Frost on me and asked if we should take the road less traveled? I replied, don't we always?

I usually take the one closest to the place the turtles hang out, no matter how well traveled it is.

anne said...

the art of raw ,/the wee hours here , it didn't get that warm here , and the weather is usually the same here as there .. ,why do you think ..it was different this time ?, said very out ..of since last comment and wandering .. .

Laura said...

It's still really cool here and rainy. I actually like this weather though. As long as it's not snowing.. I'm good.

((Hugs))
Laura

anne said...

laura ,my mother said earlier ..something of snow was coming ag. for one last blow before suddenly summer as it goes ,she is north of us, i think that you mentioned something of being in town as well here , said the lady of the lake ..to the shawl

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

Holy motherfuckin' shit.

It's that warm today as well. Feels like June!

why do you think ..it was different this time ?,

I think it was different because we're still a bit south of you, and close to the ocean.

It's still really cool here and rainy. I actually like this weather though. As long as it's not snowing.. I'm good.

It's supposed to get cool and rainy here tomorrow. We desparately need the rain (yesterday, there were some small brush fires scattered around the region). Oddly enough, tomorrow will be a better day for my "vernal pool" hike. The froggies and salamanders like it cool and moist.

something of snow was coming ag. for one last blow before suddenly summer as it goes

Sudden spring blizzards aren't unknown around here. There have been a few times when I've been out shoveling snow while wearing shorts.

anne said...

but something still doesn't make sense about .. of the ocean to the lake here , i'll thin'k about it in the tub now , need to warm the eau ag. said poke

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

but something still doesn't make sense about .. of the ocean to the lake here

Remember, the ocean currents bring warmer water from the tropic zones up to our northerly latitudes.