Monday, April 27, 2020

Trying to Get In

This being spring, the pond at my workplace is a veritable orgy, audibly so. A couple of nights ago, I found this neighbor trying to get in the building, or at least trying to get somewhere:




I had this notion that this toad, a chunk slightly smaller than my fist, was confused by the lights and reflections in the window in front of the building, perhaps thinking it was the reflective surface of the pond. I gently picked it up and placed it in a vegetated section close to the pond. I'd like to think that this time of human social distancing that I was helping to make a batrachian connection... can't achieve amplexus from six feet away.

2 comments:

Anathema Device said...

What a beautiful toad! It might have been after the insects attracted by the lights. That's the principle on which cane toad traps are constructed:

https://animalcontrol.com.au/products/toadinator

Thank you for rescuing this little guy. Too many people would be too repulsed to touch it

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

I've always loved my toads. When you spend a good deal of time outdoors, at night, in a marshy area, you develop an appreciation for insectivores.

The whole cane toad saga is insane. Hey, let's introduce a voracious, prolific predator which poisons larger predators to our biologically isolated continent... what could possibly go wrong?