Wednesday, March 11, 2020

A Town I Love so Well

Years ago, when I still had a head of luxurious golden curls, I used to live in the City of New Rochelle, which is in the center of a containment zone due to the COVID-19 outbreak. I still have a deep, abiding love for New Rochelle, a city of about 80,000 residents. It's a pretty city with a diverse population and a myriad of dining and entertainment options. I am especially perturbed by this outbreak because I have friends who are congregants of the Young Israel of New Rochelle synagogue. I know that neighborhood well, even back in my high school days, I patronized the businesses affected by the containment zone... H&R Bialy in particular was a required stop before trips to Jones Beach.

It's heartbreaking to see such a vibrant community brought to its knees by a microorganism. I'd say that my heart goes out to the people of New Rochelle, but my heart's always been with them.

Post title taken from Phil Coulter's tragic ode to Derry- I've been remiss in my pre-St Patrick's day posts, so here is the song in its sad glory:





Once this COVID-19 thing blows over, I will go on a long-overdo 'foodie' tour of New Rochelle. I owe them, and I owe myself.

No comments: