Sunday, August 30, 2020

O, Mi Corazón

 Today was too nice a day to be enmeshed in the terrible current events.  It was a balmy,  breezy day, and I spent much of my afternoon shift alternating between watching ospreys soar above the storied Hudson and watching a turkey hen with three poults foraging in the grass by the pathway from our parking lot to our visitors' center.  For a brief, magical moment, I had a finger-long, perhaps a widow skimmer, land on my knee as I sat on a bench, contemplating the beauty of my surroundings. After work, I met up with friends at a place with a deck overlooking the Hudson... a place that serves five dollar gin-and-tonics. It's a particularly beautiful time of year in New York, and I spent the day in a particularly lovely region of the state.

Yes, it was a day too lovely to contemplate contemporary horrors... so how about a lovely rendition of a song about historic horrors?  Here is a video of Spanish band Hinds singing a rendition of Spanish Bombs, written by the Clash as a contemplation of the Spanish Civil War:

It's kinda disconcerting hearing such lovely voices singing about 'bullet holes in the cemetery walls' in the Days of '39, kinda like reading about deadly protests on such a lovely day. UPDATE: Looking at the shirt worn by Ana Perrote, on the righ-hand side, reminds me that the second most vile slur in American Vernacular English originally meant 'rabbit', which in Spanish is the phonetically similar 'conejo'. This is one of the best slur reclamations I've seen in a while.

2 comments:

Vixen Strangely said...

Hah! Cony/cunt and conejo are so close to coniglio/cogliones it's impossible to forget how rabbits became legendary for their multiplication. We linguistically compared them to ourselves.

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

We sure did! It's too bad the word became considered so vile, a cute furry rabbit is a perfect comparison... and it sure would make Easter different.