Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Purty Purslane

It's been a busy day for me- I left Virginia around noontime and drove to the vicinity of my workplace rather than to my home. I had enough time to do a little grocery shopping and then hit a local Korean restaurant for some bibimbap before clocking in. When I got the work, I called mom to let her know that I had arrived safely. The drive home wasn't too bad, though I did pass through occasional bands of heavy rain, and at times it looked like apocalyptic thunderstorms were pounding the regions to the sides of the highway.

Needless to say, I was blissfully ignorant of current events until I reached the outskirts of the New York metro area, where I could pick up the local CBS radio affiliate. I still have some catching up to do. I figure I'll put up a quick post, and then get to the business of catching up...

One of the ornamental potted plants my mom has is a fancy Portulaca, which longtime readers will recognize as an old friend:




I must say, those are some pretty flowers- this is a much showier plant than its scrappy cousins growing up through the cracks in the sidewalk... its leaves are every bit as delicious, though.

2 comments:

Vixen Strangely said...

Although I've seen purslane in my lawn, I've never seen it flowering--I will say I have had dandelions, purslane, nettle, and plantain in my yard at times, but never felt like harvesting them, per se. I recently found out what plantain even was recently. and knowing it is a "can eat" might just prompt me to get down to sauteeing it with 'shrooms, butter and a little balsamic. Everything tastes good sautéed in butter, nearly. The spouse took pity on a dandelion that he decided to zip-tie against the fence--without being pulled, they get ridiculously high--another thing I know is definitely organic, edible, and probably pretty tasty. If I'm going to be urban-farm-proud of my herbs, fig and grapevine, I should probably try to embrace my wilder foundlings. There's just a kind of mental block I have about seeing them that way.

Vixen Strangely said...

Small weird apropos confession--I have 6 grapevines all 10+ years old in my yard, but we buy tinned dolmades. I have months worth of dolmade material: grape leaves everywhere, the price of a sack of rice, water that I get from the City, and jars and salt. Plus a pot. Am I too stressed a human to make rice burritos? Eh. But somehow I haven't yet.