Friday, August 4, 2017

An Instant Favorite in the Culinary Canon

I guess this is purslane obsession week for me, two posts about the stuff in one sennight... am I going crazy? Crazy for purslane! In this comment thread at Cooking with EL CHAVO!, I found this comment to be interesting:


The traditional Mexicano recipe for verdolagas is with pork, but years ago a Mexicano I used to work in construction with showed my a good way to eat it fresh.
He took a bunch of fresh verdolagas and put it in a hot flour tortilla with some slices of avocado, some slices of queso fresco, and one or two green onions. Then he dripped on some El Pato salsa and voila a tasty and fast burrrito de verduras.



While I didn't have green onions, I came across a nice purslane patch, picked the tips off the stalks, and served it on a corn tortilla with some avocado, queso fresco, a squeeze of lime, and a judicious amount of hot sauce:


It was a nice balance of tart purslane and lime juice, salty queso, creamy avocado, and a touch of heat... a perfect no-cook summer snack. Having the store-bought ingredients in the office fridge, and a bumper crop of purslane on the grounds, it looks like I've got my work-meals taken care of for a week. I might even open up a concession stand on site: Calvo Loco Taco.


8 comments:

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

hey, guess who was bleeding music again?

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

You at Summerfest?

mikey said...

You need to head down to the local barrio and get your hands on some dried epizote for that. The pungent snap-tang will really raise the bar on it...

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

Oh, yeah, epazote is really good. The local supermarket by my job has a lot of Latin American products.

The New York Crank said...

I don't want to be a wet blanket in this purslane love-in, but I didn't know precisely what purslane is, other than that it's an herb, or what it looks like or tastes like, so I googled it.And one of the first things I learned was this: "IMPORTANT: a similar plant named "hairy-stemmed spurge" is poisonous."

So purslane to your heart's content, but don't spurge by accident.

Yours Crankily,
The New York Crank

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

No danger of that, the spurge just isn't pretty, plump, and succulent like the purslane is. I can tell the difference from fifty feet away.

Unknown said...

you can find out more her latest blog you can look here check my site over here you can try these out

Unknown said...

p2b72n4i09 e7l63o8b93 w0g46t8d56 r0f37s5u93 w0k97x6o89 n5m31y5t14