Saturday, December 19, 2015

An Annual Tradition

For more years than I care to relate, I have volunteered as a judo coach for a children's athletic program, a comprehensive introduction to sports as common as soccer and basketball to as esoteric as water polo and fencing. The program broadly follows the school year, beginning in October and ending in March. Today, we will be having outr holiday party before taking a two week break. There's a lovely luncheon and the kids sing carols. Every year, presents are given, hats or gym bags... the like.

This year, my brother Sweetums is bringing the kids, who are judo players. I have had the pleasure of attending one of their classes in Switzerland, and actually met a couple of players from their dojo in New York. For a city of millions, NYC is a one horse town. Today, I promised the kids I'd teach them uchimata, a hip throw which looks a lot worse than it actually is. This Christmas, I'm giving the gift of badassery.

1 comment: