Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Chinatown HO!

Last week, a drive-by commentor decided to challenge me regarding my dedication to the proposition that sanctuary cities are a good thing. In typical fashion, it was a bit of a stupid 'gotcha': Be sure to give sanctuary to the Asians that may be carrying the shiny new virus.

Aside from the fact that various governments have cracked down on travel to and from the city of Wuhan, and no cases of the COVID-19 virus have been reported in New York, businesses in New York City's Chinatowns are suffering because of fear of an outbreak and bias attacks against persons of east Asian descent have been reported. I refuse to live my life in fear, so I will be stopping in Manhattan's Chinatown either on my way to (if I can get my ass in gear in time) or from (the venerable Wo Hop is 24 hours) tonight's Secret Science Club lecture.

I'm a New Yorker, I refused to let the 9/11 attacks cause me to fear my Muslim neighbors, it's not like some epidemic nineteen years later is going to cause me to fear my Chinese immigrant and Chinese-American neighbors.

4 comments:

Mccormick47 said...

Love Wo Hop

mikey said...

Fascist White Nationalists hate everyone who is even a little bit different from them. They will say anything about any group. It's never going to end...

Ali Redford said...

Thank you for demonstrating humanity to our fellow humans. You do such a great job of that, consistently.

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

Thanks, everybody. Had an order of egg rolls and roast duck chow fun. As always, the service from the awesome Wo Hop staff was great, and the food was delicious.

Hate leaves a bad taste in my mouth.