Saturday, November 9, 2019

Tea and Sympathy

The weather has taken a turn toward Winter, with the mercury hitting 24 degrees Fahrenheit (-4 Celsius) at this moment. As luck would have it, I have one more weekend of working a special event before locking up for the post-season. Last night, I was hanging out with one of our contractors, who is California born and bred. He is NOT a big fan of the cold.

"Where I grew up, it would rarely get below seventy degrees. I hate the Winter."
"It's not even Winter yet..."
"Anything below forty degrees is Winter to me!"

Being a Northeasterner, I am better acclimated to the cold. A person can always put on another layer of clothing, but when it's hot out and you're down to your epidermis, there's little you can do to be more comfortable.

Unfortunately for this contractor, his job involves being outside for a couple of hours straight. I have taken to bringing him a hot cup of ginger honey tea a couple of times a night when my running around taking care of event logistics allows me to do so.

I've sort of taken on the role of den mother with this event, having taken a shine to the contract workers. They are a nice bunch of kids, and someone has to take care of them.

No comments: