Friday, August 7, 2015

Doorbell

At one of the sites at which I work, the combination gift shop/office/employees' lounge is in an antiquated building. I don't know how it happened, but somebody messed with the doorknob, which had to be removed from the door (for the record, I didn't pull the doorknob out, even though, as a bit of a brute, I am typically the number one suspect). The knob looks like it could be used for a fitness routine involving low weight and a whole lotta repetitions:




I call it a doorbell.

5 comments:

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

We have ones just like that in the old house in D.C. And a couple have those threads badly stripped, so coming off the door is not uncommon.
~

M. Bouffant said...

"Doorbell". Ouch.

My bathroom door probably has its original hardware, which is somewhere around 87 yrs. old. Hope I don't get trapped inside.

mikey said...

You've been thinking about your doorbell?

ButchPansy said...

I live in a house built in 1905. There have been several updates to it: skylights; two tiny bedrooms merged into one; bolts to affix it to the foundation; double-glazed windows; bathroom integrated with the rest of the house (it had been on the porch). The doorknobs are all original, however. Deadbolts have been added, but the front door still has the original key, as an option. I like old houses in old neighborhoods. I like old trees. I like bad puns.

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

I'm with Butch. House built in 1904.

I like replacing the original hardware though; as noted above, the old pieces get worn and fall apart. The set screws get stripped, and if the doorknob falls off you can get trapped. Plus, in the second floor, many of the knobs were hollow brass rather than solid, or cut glass; the glass ones get busted.

I have found some nice heavy historic appropriate replacements in a couple of locations.