Monday, November 10, 2014

An Uncharacteristic Movie Night

Longtime readers of this blog will know that I am, by no means, a cinephile. The last movie I saw in a theater was the 2010 remake of True Grit, which I saw in the theater because I am a huge fan of the book, which I want to ensure remains in print. Tonight, however, I will be attending a sneak preview of the film The Imitation Game, a film about the heroic code-breaking efforts of Alan Turing who helped to save Britain from the Nazis, only to be destroyed by the anti-LGBT bigotry of the government of the people he defended. The film stars Benedict Cumberbatch (is there a more Dickensian/JK Rowlingsish name in entertainment?) and Keira Knightley (whose film debut, Bend it Like Beckham was another one I saw in the theater).

Special thanks go out to my dear friends of the Secret Science Club, who were the recipients of the sneak preview tickets. They distributed the tickets to people on their e-mail list through a contest which, appropriately, involved solving a cryptogram:


P RDBEJITG LDJAS STHTGKT ID QT RPAATS XCITAAXVTCI XU XI RDJAS STRTXKT P WJBPC XCID QTAXTKXCV IWPI XI LPH WJBPC.

-PAPC IJGXCV


I was able to solve the puzzle in a few minutes, largely because I recalled a bit which I believe is from Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose, namely that the key to cracking a code is to have some idea of what the message is before you start out. I won't give out more of a hint than that, but I trust my smart readers to get this one pretty quickly.

7 comments:

Smut Clyde said...

ROT15.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

In the age of the internet, it is easy to cheat.

Congrats for your ticket!
~

mikey said...

I suck at those kinds of puzzles.

Also, too, the last movie I saw in a theater was Tears of the Sun, which must have been about ten years ago...

Emma said...

but I trust my smart readers to get this one pretty quickly
That was mean.

The last movie I saw live was War Horse, because my granny wanted to go and I have a purely intellectual attachment to Siegfried Sassoon (whom I thought was going to be represented in the film, for some reason).

Emma said...

It didn't publish my italics code!

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

ROT15.

I sure could go for some rotis right now...

In the age of the internet, it is easy to cheat.

Again, having an idea of the subject matter before tackling the puzzle is key... this was actually a plot point in the movie.

I suck at those kinds of puzzles.

Now, that's surprising, you being an analytical fellow.

but I trust my smart readers to get this one pretty quickly
That was mean.


I, er, uh, eh... look, a squirrel!

You may not be an analytical whiz, but your verbal talents are formidable. We all have our strengths, yours just don't like in the cryptographic field.

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

Uh, don't lie in the cryptographic field...