Friday, August 3, 2018

It Begins

I just locked up the building and closed off the parking lot after a crew of our Fall Fundraising Event contractors left a planning meeting on the premises. Every year, it seems like Fall has arrived earlier. I know everyone who was at the meeting, I have come to value their friendship over the course of almost a decade working together.

I also have to cobble together a Fall schedule, trying to ensure week-round coverage with five employees, including myself. I am plugging names and times into our web-based scheduling software, stopping to sigh, and saying, 'And this is where the magic happens!' I'm looking at six and seven day weeks for two months, but as long as HR and our comptroller sign off on the wages, I should be okay. I already told my neighbors that I would be pulling a 'Captain Nemo', not surfacing for long time.

It's the first weekend of August, and it already feels like Summer is over, but for the fact that it's hot and exceedingly muggy. I would like to take a day or two off before crunch time, but looking at our staffing needs, and our attenuated workforce, I don't know how feasible this will be.

Oh, well, it beats working 9-to-5 in insurance.

No comments: