Monday, November 6, 2017

Inaka-Mon!

I'm not a wealthy person, but I'm doing okay... that being said, I try to cultivate a certain form of sophistication appropriate for an East Coast Elite type: I am well-read and well-fed, having an extensive personal library and an experience of diverse cuisines. Lately, I have been craving a nabemono, having learned how to make a passable one from my Tokyo-born sister-in-law (my brother Sweetums' wife), but have so far settled for a boil-up of chicken thighs, savoy cabbage, tofu, and mochi finished off with some rice noodles since I haven't been able to shop for aburaage, atsuage, and shirataki lately. Yeah, I don't have a lot of money, but what I have I can spend so that I seem to punch above my weight lifestyle-wise.

After this long-winded introduction, I have to note that our president, despite his wealth and pose of class, is an inaka mono, despite having grown up in the diverse borough of Queens, NY. The guy, on a state dinner with the Prime Minister of Japan, had a hamburger for lunch. Face, palm, I believe you've met... Trump is the quintessential clueless tourist, the guy who loudly orders steak tartare and complains even more loudly that it hasn't been cooked. He's in a nation known for its refined cuisine, and he orders a hamburger? It could have been worse, though, the burger was made of American beef, so at least Trump didn't blasphemously insist on a well-done burger made of Wagyu beef. Sou desu ne?


No comments: