Saturday, September 5, 2015

A Rough Gig

My standard jokey description of my job is that it's extremely cushy, except when it's not. I typically break it down to 80% cushy, 15% slightly annoying, and 5% scary (typically bad weather events- hurricanes, thunderstorms, blizzards). All told, I can't complain, and I don't complain.

Regular readers will recall that one of my co-workers broke his arm in a common, though complicated fashion, and will be out for a few weeks. Ours being a small department, the rest of us are working extra shifts to cover the shifts that our injured comrade typically works. One of my co-workers, an all-around good guy, is now working seven days a week... I had a bit of a guilt trip asking him if he'd be willing to do so.

Today, when I got to work, he called... the site he's working today is a particularly bucolic and picturesque site. He brought his young son with him, and the boy had a ball- he was fascinated with the site, and enjoyed spending a lovely afternoon helping his dad out and having the run of the place. I'm relieved that the lads had fun, that goes a long way towards dispelling the guilt trip. Even when it's a rough gig, the job is pretty sweet.

3 comments:

mikey said...

The last couple years I've been stuck in a rotten gig - awful, mean, dishonest management who swung between ignoring and humiliating me, and no hope of a raise or bonus. I stayed because it was also the most ridiculously 'cushy' job in the world, with a massively sympathetic supervisor, no required hours and only about 5-15 hours a week of real work. I usually was in the office from 10am to 3pm, except when I 'worked' from home. I surfed the web, I wrote, I listened to music - it wasn't enough money, really, and I was always kind of miserable, but for what I was actually doing it was a huge income. So I stayed. But every day I wondered why the hell they were keeping me around at all. Finally, in April, the fired me. The only surprise is why they waited two years and some change to do it.

During that time reading your posts about your work, how your love for your job and coworkers would come through in your words, the pleasure, validation and satisfaction you got from your work - and I'd have mixed feelings. Glad for you, but jealous that I was getting just the opposite - negative feelings about myself and my life in exchange for a paycheck.

But in July I started my new gig. VERY early stage enterprise infrastructure software company, great people, many hats to wear and many ways to contribute, lots of demands but OH so satisfying to meet them all. So now when I read your pieces like this I just smile, because I've actually got an even better gig than you do!

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Getting paid beats not getting paid, aka what mikey said. A shame you don't have more employees at your place, though.
~

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

But in July I started my new gig. VERY early stage enterprise infrastructure software company, great people, many hats to wear and many ways to contribute, lots of demands but OH so satisfying to meet them all. So now when I read your pieces like this I just smile, because I've actually got an even better gig than you do!

That's good news, work shouldn't feel like a kick in the balls.

Getting paid beats not getting paid, aka what mikey said. A shame you don't have more employees at your place, though

Yeah, it's tough finding candidates- the job is not for everybody, but I'm tempermentally suited to it because I'm eccentric. The real problem is that we are really stymied when something out of the ordinary occurs, like my friend's injury.