Sunday, July 27, 2014

Playing with Juniper

There are a couple of juniper bushes on one of my jobsites and they are festooned with pale, pine scented "berries". As gin-and-tonics are my go-to summer drink (besides, of course, beer), I have decided to play around with them, making an infused vodka reminiscent of jenever, a spirit I came to enjoy when I traveled to the Netherlands a few years back. Maybe a good analogous drink would be Old Tom gin, a sort of "link" between jenevers and modern gins. I've been looking up recipes on the interwebz, and I think I'm ready to infuse a batch of booze. I've been making limoncello and other citrus infusions for years, and this year I started a batch of nocino... why not try a batch of gin?

I'm still pondering what "botanicals" to put in this mixture. I have the juniper, lemons and oranges are easily come by, I live by bunch of Indian groceries where I can buy coriander and cardamom seeds in bulk, and I actually have access to lavender in the gardens at work. It'll take a couple of days to accumulate my ingredients, but I think I'm going to do this thing.

Anybody got a recipe for homemade tonic water?

5 comments:

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

I think you are at the mercy of the tonic water lobby!
~

mikey said...

Oh! When I saw the post title I thought you had access to a brand new big-ass router...

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

I think you are at the mercy of the tonic water lobby!

I fear you're right!

Oh! When I saw the post title I thought you had access to a brand new big-ass router...

Wrong kind of nerdery!

sugarpie said...

I've had a few G&T at a local bar (it's way too hip for me seriously frequent) that uses house made tonic. The bartender wouldn't tell me their recipe (he was too busy, obvs.), but this one sounds like it would be something close to theirs. It had a lot more depth than store bought,

http://www.jeffreymorgenthaler.com/2008/how-to-make-your-own-tonic-water/

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

Cool, thanks!