Sunday, July 27, 2014

Playing with Juniper

There are a couple of juniper bushes on one of my jobsites and they are festooned with pale, pine scented "berries". As gin-and-tonics are my go-to summer drink (besides, of course, beer), I have decided to play around with them, making an infused vodka reminiscent of jenever, a spirit I came to enjoy when I traveled to the Netherlands a few years back. Maybe a good analogous drink would be Old Tom gin, a sort of "link" between jenevers and modern gins. I've been looking up recipes on the interwebz, and I think I'm ready to infuse a batch of booze. I've been making limoncello and other citrus infusions for years, and this year I started a batch of nocino... why not try a batch of gin?

I'm still pondering what "botanicals" to put in this mixture. I have the juniper, lemons and oranges are easily come by, I live by bunch of Indian groceries where I can buy coriander and cardamom seeds in bulk, and I actually have access to lavender in the gardens at work. It'll take a couple of days to accumulate my ingredients, but I think I'm going to do this thing.

Anybody got a recipe for homemade tonic water?

4 comments:

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

I think you are at the mercy of the tonic water lobby!
~

mikey said...

Oh! When I saw the post title I thought you had access to a brand new big-ass router...

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

I think you are at the mercy of the tonic water lobby!

I fear you're right!

Oh! When I saw the post title I thought you had access to a brand new big-ass router...

Wrong kind of nerdery!

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

Cool, thanks!