Thursday, July 31, 2014

In the Sky, a Marvel

At about 2:15AM, while I was doing my customary walkabout on the job, I caught a bright flash of light out of the corner of my eye, bright enough to briefly illuminate the building I was walking next to. I turned in the direction of the flash and beheld the final moments of the most spectacular meteor I have ever seen, a bona fide fireball. The magnitude of the light was sufficient to illuminate a bright, smoky tail. WOW! I've never seen a meteor that came close to this one. Last August, I saw some impressive meteors, but this one blew them all away in terms of magnificence. The incident had me humming this little ditty, which is before my time, but catchy as hell:





There was quite a bit of astro rock (as opposed to planet rock or space rock) in those days.

Ya know, I feel like embedding another video, Larry Fast's tribute to those old instrumentals, named for the Redstone rockets which made Project Mercury possible:

3 comments:

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

I like that instrumental.

Congrats on your good fortune!
~

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

O.T. On the willfully ignorant front...
~

jim said...

YAY METEOR SEASON!!!

I saw two this morning. I straight up fuckin' loves me some sweet sweet Persids, ohhh yeaaahhh. Peak's on the 12th or so but they'll keep on rockin' the sky until the 24th.