Saturday, January 14, 2012

Funny, I've Never Posted This At My Blog

I have a confession to make. Tonight, I posted links to the song Stuart by The Dead Milkmen on two other blogs. I have linked to the song on my own blog, but I have never posted the video of the song. Tonight, I rectify this grave, grave error.

Stuart, originally released on 1988's Beelzebubba album, is a perfect evocation of the paranoid streak in American culture in under two-and-a-half minutes. Whenever I read of FEMA death camps, black helicopters, chemtrails, and the like, I always think of Stuart. The "narrator" of Stuart is the sort of guy who'd subscribe to Ron Paul newsletters, the kind of guy who'd consider voting for Rick Santorum, a typical John Birch Society, Lyndon LaRouche, Ron Paul, Alex Jones whack-a-doodle. Stuart, almost a quarter-century after its release, is one of the great political satires (even if not originally conceived as such) of our modern era, when the lunatics have taken over the asylum. Plus, the song starts out with one of the all-time greatest opening lines in the history of pop music everything:

You know what, Stuart, I LIKE YOU. You're not like the other people, here, in the trailer park.

The 'Milkmen have recently reformed, so here's a clip of them performing Stuart in Brooklyn:





If you find the lyrics hard to understand, there's always the brilliant album version... so many hilarious lines, all crammed into 2:21.

5 comments:

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

I always liked this one.
~

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

I always liked this one.

My favorite is this.

The "UH!" really makes the song.

Laura said...

I guess Stuart was "a homo" and that's why he was different from everyone else at the trailer park.

Great stuff-loved the links in the comment section too. Especially yours, I'm a sucker for a snappy tune.

((Hugs))
Laura

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

I like Lots of Dead Milkmen plenty fine, but I am with thundra on this one.

Although this one also is gud.

[yeah, I seen 'em - Beelzebubba tour]

Dr.KennethNoisewater said...

I seem to remember liking a couple of their songs in high school. They were there on my periphery, not really in heavy rotation for me.

Lead singer looks like he should be mowing his lawn in black socks.