Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Laissez le Bon Temps Rouler!

Mardi Gras, the last day before Lent begins... the end of Carnival. In the States, of course, the only public manifestation of the Carnival tradition takes place in Franco-America (insert Spaghettios joke), more properly known as Louisiana.

The two broad musical traditions of Francophone Lousisana are Cajun music, and Zydeco, or "green beans" music, which is an Afro-French (Creole) musical form. In honor of this, the fattest of Tuesdays, I present two selections. The first is La Danse De Mardi Gras by Cajun revival superstars Steve Riley and the Mamou Playboys.



The second is Bow Legged Woman by Zydeco superstar C.J. Chenier.



Now, have fun, let the good times roll, and don't swallow the plastic Jesus in your King Cake.

Edit: It was my intention to embed these videos, but teh toobz won't allow me to do so. Please click on the links provided, and shake your rumps. Maybe Youtube has given up "embed" enabling for Lent.

Edit of the Edit: My original post was made using a different server than I usually use- as is now evident, I have been able to embed the linked videos. Let the good times roll, indeed!

1 comment:

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

HA!

My friend's sledding party did feature a King Cake (sent to us by Fran, our collage friend from New Orleans).

And we did find the baby plastic Jesus.

Hallelujah!
~