Monday, July 27, 2020

One Hundred and Fifty Thousand

The US death toll from COVID-19 has surpassed 150,000, a number I believed we'd hit by August, but not quite so soon (yeah, I realize that it's the 27th). Back in March, I predicted that a half-million Americans would die before the pandemic ran its course, but I'm now thinking that my prediction was a low-ball. So much for sunny optimism!

The crazy thing is that the initial shutdown was predicated on putting in place a broad testing regimen, which never materialized. The push to reopen things led to a failure to contain the virus, which will inevitably lead to new shutdowns. The current situation with Major League Baseball is a perfect symbol of the failed pandemic response.

At work, we will be reopening one site for limited visitation this coming Friday, admitting small groups of ticket-holding persons, keeping activities limited to outdoors, enforcing social distancing and mask rules. We tend to have responsible visitors, so I think it could work. It'll be nice seeing coworkers outside of the skeleton crew that has been holding down the fort since March, but I can't say that I am one hundred percent confident that it's a good move.

2 comments:

Anathema Device said...

I'm not confident it is either, BBBB. Stay safe (which may be impossible given the stupid rampant in your country, but the hope is there.)

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

I think it will be okay. It'll be outside, the number of visitors will be limited, and social distancing will be maintained. We don't get a lot of assholes coming to visit the site.