Thursday, March 14, 2019

Pi Day 2019

Today being Pi Day, when I went shopping last night, I actually bought a pie, a custard pie which isn't all that different from the egg tarts one can get in Chinatown. It's really quite a lovely pie, and storebought had to suffice because I didn't have the time to bake a Schadenfreude Pie.

For the record, I prefer savory pies to sweet ones. My sainted paternal Grandmother wasn't exactly the most elaborate cook on the planet, but one of her outstanding specialties was a lamb pie, small chunks of meat cut from the leg and baked in a double crust pie... a simple dish which perfectly highlighted the delicious, slightly gamey lamb. My favorite pie is steak-and-kidney pie, though Dad's family ate a lot of kidneys, they were typically consumed in stew for Sunday breakfast. Not having a lot of time, I think I might hit the local butcher shop to buy a steak-and-kidney pie before heading off to work.

Happy Pi Day to all! I'm not a big mathematics guy, though I am sympatico with people who are mathematics fanatics.

No comments: