Tuesday, February 12, 2019

The Crankiest Crank of them All

It looks like the biggest crank in American politics has died- it has been reported that Lyndon LaRouche died at the age of 1996. LaRouche was the living embodiment of horseshoe theory, he managed to be simultaneously far-left and far-right, and certifiably insane. The RationalWiki entry on LaRouche has a pretty good overview of his long, bizarre career in the public eye. It appears that he started out as a Trotskyite and ended up a Trumper. He ran in eight presidential elections.

It's been a long time since I've run into a LaRouchie in the flesh, though not for want of trying. The last time I saw a bunch of LaRouche supporters, I remember a handful of aging-hippies-gone-horribly-wrong handing out some whacky pamphlets. One of them shouted in my friend's ear, 'Fight for freedom.' He responded, 'Smoke my pole.' GOOD TIMES.

LaRouche has always been a presence on the political landscape that I have known, even though I still have no good handle on what he wanted, except that he was pro nukes, anti-England, and had some crazy ideas about teh J00s. It will be interesting to see if his followers can hold together some sort of movement, or will be subsumed by some other ideological freak show. At any rate, if a certain Hootchie Cootchie LaRouchie needs some, uh, comfort in this time of bereavement, I will make myself available. It's not like I've got a pet rabbit she can throw in a stewpot.

4 comments:

Yastreblyansky said...

1996? He didn't look even a millennium! I'm glad Queen Elizabeth will be able to spend her last years without fear of being busted for her drug dealing.

The movement was still alive in November, though maybe a little subdued. They always have a table on Upper Broadway at election season, usually around 80th St. I think, but I never talk to them. Good luck with Rachel, but try not to take advantage of her grief.

Harry Hamid said...

I ran into LaRouche people in the underground below Houston downtown (basically just a bunch of restaurants) last year. They were trying to hand out flyers about the witch hunt against Trump.

This is the first place I've seen mentioning that he died. He was a nut, but he sure seemed to have dedicated followers. Wait, there's a word for that, right?

mistah charley, ph.d. said...

a former in-law of mine grew up in lower-upper-class circumstances - dad was a consulting engineer with a successful firm - but her father gave away all his money to larouche when he was old, cognitively impaired, susceptible to flattery and fooled by the seemingly reasonable technocratic facade

the larouchites had a table in front of the dmv around here during the 2018 primary season - i ran into them and talked a little bit when i was renewing my driver's license then

you have beat wikipedia with the news of his passing, by the way, although chances are you have exaggerated his lifespan some

Jimbo said...

I'm guessing that the Larouchers or Larouchites or whatever they're called will be subsumed into the GOP. It would the logical move. Crazies like crazies.