Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Meanwhile, on the Work Front

I love my job, I need to get that out of the way. I enjoy the day-to-day tasks inherent to the position, I love my beautiful workplace and my nice co-workers. I actually arriving at work each and every workday. That being said, things are far from perfect all the time- for instance, our e-mail system has been out of commission for a week. I had to cobble together June's schedule and ended up printing up a copy for each of my subordinates and another copy which I sent through the interoffice mail to my supervisor, informing him of the fact through a text message. I am sitting on April's expense reimbursement form (I get reimbursed for mileage incurred through job duties) because I can't send the spreadsheet to the comptroller.

Like I said, I love my job, but I've never encountered a work situation like this before. I really can't understand the malaise which could produce such a batty situation. We are in the middle of a spring fundraising event which has been extended for two weekends, news of the extension had to be disseminated through word of mouth. I am going to revise the June schedule and now have to print up additional copies of the PDF in order to distribute it to my department. For a successful organization, such dysfunction is inexplicable... I'm not exactly holding my breath for the solution to this problem, but I hope I'll be able to e-mail July's schedule out.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Things can get better.

When I started at the place I work, we were basically in the dark ages as far as technology and processes go. We have completely upgraded everything and are a professional operation now, and it is really all thanks to the replacement of a single person.

mikey said...

Why don't you just go ahead and create a new Google Docs account and share it with all your colleagues. Then you could do a calendar and a live status document, even if you didn't want to end up with a parallel email system outside of the work platform. Even after the email is fixed, you'll find it to be a really useful collaboration tool...

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Sounds like aol back in the olden days.

(AOL was my first isp provider.)
~

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

The e-mail's back up, but the A/C is down. Lovely...