Friday, December 3, 2021

Omicron Con

I haven't covered the emergence of the omicron variant of COVID because I was preoccupied with family holiday goings-on, and frankly, I believe that a 'wait and see' approach to this new variety is warranted until its transmissibility and virulence are better known.  I'm not really that worried about the omicron variant... after all, some waggish doomsayer predicted that it would be the pi variant which will end us all on March 14.

That being said, it was a bit disconcerting to read that omicron has already arrived in New York, with an attendee of the November 19-21 NYC Anime Con tested positive for the variant.  The individual was vaccinated, and only experienced a mild case, from which he recovered, so it's not a case of omae wa mo shindeiru, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit disconcerted.

On a personal note, the president of the organization I work for issued a vaccine mandate- we have to offer proof of vaccination by December 8 or be suspended without pay.  I put a photocopy of my COVID-19 vaccination card in the interoffice mail, indicating that I've received my two shots and a booster.  Still, I am glad that our winter hiatus has now arrived, so I can go into hermit mode for the next six months.

4 comments:

Richard said...

I doubt that you will be going into hermit mode for the next six months.
But yes, there is not enough information about omicron yet. In my town, i know a few anti vaccine people who say "omnicron". They already have it figured out. Okay, fine.
This is not the time to explain the Greek alphabet, or why we still use it sometimes, or why we skipped the letter Nu.
Wait and see. Meanwhile, I'll just be wearing my nice mask when i go out and being my good self.

Marc McKenzie said...

You just had to use Kenshiro's favorite phrase, huh? :)

But in all seriousness, yes, Omicron is cause for concern...but not panic. That this person who got it was vaccinated and at a con (which I had thought of attending, but didn't) where proof of vaccination was required is only showing mild symptoms is, well, a positive sign, since it's further proof that the vaccines work.

And while we should be concerned about Omicron, Delta is the strain that's wreaking havoc among the unvaccinated. So, get vaccinated, or get the booster, and wear a mask (properly).

JustMusing said...

It looks like 2022 may be a repeat of 2021, declining infection rates, flattening vaccination rates, and myriad hotspots among the unvaccinated. The latter includes some of my extended family whom we've had to tell, no we won't see you for holidays, or baby showers, or any other time until you do what you need to do to protect yourselves and us. We have - why won't you? Nothing but silence on that question.

While hermit mode may be overstating having to continue with safe isolation, I totally get how it feels and the long term negative health effects that can happen. When I start feeling just a wee bit grumpy or down, I think of Anne Frank and all my troubles seem so small by comparison. I'm able to get out; go for walks, see the grandkids (who have isolated with us the entire time), work my hobbies, go for a drive, and myriad other activities.

My wife and I will ride this out, however long it takes, and come through the pandemic alive and well. I hope the rest of my anti family does too, but their choices are not at all encouraging a good outcome.



Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

But yes, there is not enough information about omicron yet. In my town, i know a few anti vaccine people who say "omnicron". They already have it figured out. Okay, fine.

I'm not exactly thrilled with this real-time demonstration of evolution by means of natural selection.

You just had to use Kenshiro's favorite phrase, huh? :)

I've been a fan since the manga came out, when a Japanese classmate of mine gave me a couple of issues of Weekly Shonen Jump.

The latter includes some of my extended family whom we've had to tell, no we won't see you for holidays, or baby showers, or any other time until you do what you need to do to protect yourselves and us. We have - why won't you? Nothing but silence on that question.

UGH!