Thursday, December 18, 2014

Repulsive Road Trip, Delightful Destination

Having a few days off, I headed down to Northern Virginia to where mom hangs her hat. I drove down on Tuesday, in conditions which were, at times, harrowing- there were fog banks which reduced visibility to a single car length. In conditions like these, I keep my eyes on the reflective white dashes which separate the lanes of the highway in order to avoid going off the road. Needless to say, I leave a lot of space between my car and the one preceding it.

There was one moment of absolute horror- I was in the right lane, and I saw, in my rearview mirror, a huge tractor-trailer barreling down the left lane at prodigious speed. Another glance revealed that he was riding up the tailpipe of a subcompact car. They flew past me, but I could smell burning rubber as the truck driver must have stood on the brakes. I passed the truck, which had come to a standstill, and saw no evidence of the little car. I couldn't tell you if it had sped off or had been plowed under.

My driving motto is, "You have the rest of your life to get to your destination." I don't want my highways looking like a Hieronymous Bosch painting.

On a happy note, I am having a delightful time in VA.

3 comments:

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

I don't think I'll have time to meet up. Glad you lived, B^4!
~

Smut Clyde said...

I don't want my highways looking like a Hieronymous Bosch painting.

OTOH, "The Garden of Earthly Delights" could only be improved by a 6-lane freeway running through the middle.

Chickpea said...

Good driving motto, I wish more people would take note. Some crazy people out there!