Sunday, February 21, 2010

Seems to be Relic Night

Yes, looking at some of the usual suspects' blogs, it would seem to be relic night. Well, reading about relics reminds me of a visit to Padova, which was characterized by a trip to the Basilica, followed by dinner in a restaurant (the name of which I cannot recall) that specialized in roast goat (perversely, I ordered guinea hen in said establishment). Well, the tongue of St. Anthony is on prominent display in the Basilica (along with other body parts)- gives an interesting spin on kissing a relic. Now, of course, I cannot think of St. Anthony without thinking of Mahler's Des Antonius von Padua Fischpredigt:




Ah, yes, the old fish-sermon, I translated it for a "Reading German" class in college. In Catholic folk-hagiography, the intercession of St. Anthony is sought for aid in locating lost objects. In my search for a video for this post, I found the blog Down With Tyranny!- not a lost object, but certainly a find.

2 comments:

Substance McGravitas said...

That's a great piece. Thanks for it.

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

DWT is a worthwhile stop, if you're an America-hating Librul Socialest commonist fascist like me.